It has taken over 30 years to transform the former Orgreave Colliery & Coking Works into what Waverley is today. This page provides a snapshot of how this has been delivered.
A PROUD HISTORY IN MICROCOSM
When Orgreave closed for the final time in 1990 with the loss of over 350 jobs, its future was hard to visualise - but British Coal Opencast made the first move by restoring the site's tip to make part of the land fit for rebuilding.
That was back in 1995. Since then, the following key milestones have been hit to bring the site in the form you see today.
2002: Outline consent granted for AMP; University of Sheffield's AMRC with Boeing created as a key industry-university partnership
2004: First part of AMRC built at AMP, with further units including Nuclear AMRC following in its wake
2005: Opencast mining ends; four year restoration of site undertaken
2008: Outline planning submitted for Waverley's new community of 3,890 new homes
2011: Outline planning approval granted for the new community; land engineered by Harworth for site's first phase
2012: Harron Homes purchases first residential phase; first residents move in. Fourteen further phases prepared and sold in next seven years
2013: Rolls-Royce buys land to build its 215,000 sq. ft blade casting facility
2014: University of Sheffield's AMRC Training Centre completes, training 200+ young people per year
2017: McLaren Automotive takes a 20-year lease on a new carbon fibre tub manufacturing facility
NOW: UKAEA moves onto the AMP following completion of its nuclear fusion research facility; over 1100 homes and over 1.5m sq. ft of commercial space developed, alongside 300 acres of useable open space. Waverley school opens in September 2020 and plans for Olive Lane 'heart of the community' released